HCT could not function without the help of our wonderful volunteers, and volunteering offers a great way to get to know the regional theatrical community and learn some new skills. We even welcome theatre newcomers who are willing to train, and it’s a great chance to truly experience the theatre in a hands on environment.
What does a volunteer do?
You can volunteer in ushering, concessions, will-call desk, wardrobe, lighting, props scenery building, painting, the production team, and much more. If you have a specific skill you’d like to use, please let us know!
How do I sign up?
For over 53 years, our volunteers have produced critically acclaimed theatre in the WNC region. During the day volunteers help with almost all aspects of theatre management. Like many non-profit organizations, we have a small staff with a great deal of responsibility. We’re always looking for people who have a willingness to help. There are a lot of things that need to get done, but our volunteers have fun and share in the unique experience of bringing live theatrical entertainment to the community.
Membership is another way our volunteers give to support HCT and its mission. Membership dues help us offset costs associated with maintaining a top notch theatre, including, but not limited to, insurance,safety measures, supplies, building maintenance and repairs. We offer a range of benefits to our members in exchange for their contribution Memberships.
PERKS FOR HCT MEMBERS
- As a 2019 member, you get a subscription to the “Barn Owl” newsletter – A quarterly newsletter with information about auditions, productions, events, and member happenings
- Get to Register for classes and workshops before the general public
- First notice of Volunteer opportunities
- Current members are eligible to run for office and vote in HCT elections
- Members will receive an Invitation to the Annual Membership and Volunteer Appreciation reception
- Feel like a VIP with Free Event Parking in our parking area (Apple Festival, Art on Main, etc)
- Your name in lights…well maybe bytes. Recognition as a member of HCT on our website
- Show off your support and love for the arts by displaying your members only HCT Logo Car sticker
- Members like you can take advantage of 10% discount on merchandise
- Throughout the year you will get Members Only Promotional Discounts
- Any adult individual who has satisfied all requirements for membership 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting of Members shall be entitled to one vote at the Annual Meeting to be held 4/7/2019.
To begin, read through the different volunteer opportunities on this page. Then you can start the application process online by clicking on the “VOLUNTEER INTEREST FORM” link. Or if you have any questions, please contact our volunteer coordinator, Beth Norris. Email @ email@example.com
- Fill out the VOLUNTEER INTEREST FORM: https://goo.gl/forms/xTArsxbY5fO2vVkI2
- BECOME A MEMBER: http://hendersonvilletheatre.org/get-involved/membership/
- Read and if you agree, sign THE VOLUNTEER CODE OF ETHICS
- SUBMIT FOR A BACKGROUND CHECK: https://bib.com/SECUREVOLUNTEER/HENDERSONVILLE-COMMUNITY-THEATRE/
- ABC Certification to serve Wine/Beer Concessions (Trade Name: Hendersonville Little Theatre) https://abc.nc.gov/RaspOnlineUser/SellerHome
- Attend and complete TRAINING SESSION.
Several merchants and restaurants in Hendersonville and surrounding areas graciously agree to hang our posters for each show. Distributing them in a specified area only takes 35-40 minutes once a month.
Do you have some great graphic design skills? Are you an awesome press release writer? Experience in social media, email marketing or tourism? We are always looking to expand the reach of our marketing team so we can reach the most potential patrons in WNC and beyond!
Our production coordinators are a team of super organized theatre lovers who know how to keep a show on track. The production coordinator oversees the production to assure that all aspects of the production run smoothly and in a timely manner, and manages the financial aspects of the production.
If you enjoy acting, we encourage you to attend our auditions. Our schedule always includes at least one musical so we also need choreographers and musical directors.
Lights & Sound
Some shows are simple, lights up and lights down, but others require more “cues”. Everything is computerized and takes just minutes to learn.
Our backstage crew is in charge of all the properties before and during the performance. Assist the Production manager and the props collector to ensure that all borrowed properties are returned to the owners or to its proper location in the prop room as soon as it is determined that the item is not needed, otherwise, immediately after the end of the show.
Do you love to sew? Do you love to thrift shop or design clothing? Our costumers are responsible for designing and obtaining/building all costumes required by the Director.
Responsible for: designing makeup and special character effects as required by the Director for a production; improving, maintaining and keeping in order the makeup area; replacing the makeup supplies when needed adhering to the production budget.
Responsible for providing all furniture, wall decorations, rugs, stage properties, etc.
Responsible for collecting and returning the required props needed for the production.
Take calls and sell show tickets over the counter to theatre patrons. Opportunity to work from home as well.
Help individuals find their seats, assist with concessions during intermission, assist in post show clean up and also enjoy the night’s performance!
Serve soft drinks, wine, coffee, cookies and other snacks before the show and at intermission.
Developing and planning fundraising events, mailings and generating new ideas for raising funds and getting the word out about our productions.
This includes the annual meeting, awards night event and special fundraising events. Tasks include reserving the location, arranging catering if needed, assisting with decorations and entertainment. If you like having a party, this could be a good match.