Due to the overwhelming response, the One Act Play Festival has closed submissions early. Thank you for being interested, and check back next year! If you’d like to be notified about future development opportunities, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
Hendersonville Theatre seeks new one-act plays for our 2024 One Act Play Festival. The Festival runs August 23-25, 2024. Submissions are due by March 1st at 11:59 pm EST.
About the Festival
Hendersonville Theatre created its One Act Play Festival to support new plays. The festival aligns with Hendersonville Theatre’s ongoing commitment to inspiring, educating, and nurturing artists and our community. We help theatre artists find their voices, cultivate social consciousness, and prepare for a lasting career. We support new and established playwrights and incubate new plays. We seek to make a lasting, life-long impression on our community – inspiring the audience to continue provocative conversations long after the curtain closes.
A selection of 8-15 finalists will be performed on stage.
Production and performances will be supervised by Hendersonville Theatre’s Education Director, Beth Norris, utilizing the talents of Hendersonville Theatre’s actors.
About Hendersonville Theatre
Hendersonville Theatre is a critically acclaimed non-professional theatre company dedicated to the support and growth of all artists who participate in the collective imagination that is theatre. Since 1966, Hendersonville Theatre has provided an inviting and nurturing environment for live theatre and high-quality, affordable entertainment for the residents of Hendersonville and surrounding areas.
Festival Submission Guidelines
- Submissions are due by March 1st at 11:59 pm EST.
- The scripts that are submitted must be the final version.
- Playwrights may submit either a one-act play between 60-75 minutes or up to three ten-minute plays.
- Plays that are submitted should feature six actors or less.
- Scripts with minimal set, costume, and prop requirements are preferred.
- One entry per person. Hendersonville Theatre will only consider one entry if you attempt to make multiple submissions.
- Plays must be unpublished and have no full or partial production history, but previous history with workshops and readings is acceptable.
- Plays must be submitted electronically in PDF format or as a Word document.
- We will not be considering any musicals, screenplays, or theatre for young audiences’ scripts for this festival.
- We will not consider any direct or near-direct adaptations for this festival. Adaptions are a complete retelling of the original work, and changes such as setting, context, or perspective will be allowed.
Online submissions will receive a confirmation email.
Notification will be made sometime in late Spring 2024.
If chosen, playwrights will receive a standard Dramatists Guild-approved contract. They will receive two complimentary tickets to the festival and recognition in the playbill and festival webpage, including a personal bio. Participation is voluntary; playwrights will receive no stipends or monetary prizes.s.
Hendersonville Theatre reserves the right to change the festival’s rules at anytime.
Submitting a script assumes that the playwright agrees to the festival guidelines.
Questions? Email [email protected].
Hendersonville Theatre reserves the right to reject any script for any reason. Hendersonville Theatre reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.